Skip to main content

"I’m Stressed" by DeAsia McCorvey


I’m stressed 


The month of May has just begun


One thing after the next thing is flung into the mix


I don’t have time to dwell, only to progress


I have to assess each step 


The overdramatic feeling of everything being ruined has long passed


The next chapter is coming, and coming fast


The past feel so far, and the future too near 


I’m not ready, I fear


School hasn’t prepared me well enough to go from teen to young adult in the course of 2 months 


I feel like a lamb to slaughter, unprepared and unaware


The best year has turned into our worst year 


I’m questioning if where I’m going is right 


Despite never having doubts before 


Cold feet, and sweaty palms 


These qualms are heavier than imagined


These qualms make my brain overactive when I’m suppose to be inactive 


These qualms cause hot flashes of anxiety 


These qualms make mood shoot south when dwelling too much 


I would have never predicted how much I would struggle as a senior 


I would have never predicted how stressed a worried I’d be


I would have never predicted how taut I’d be emotionally 


I do predict that college isn’t going to be the funniest years


I predict that this will be one of the most grueling years of my life and I won’t enjoy the years


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artwork by Jonathan Gambella

"There's Always An Issue" by Anonymous

There’s always an issue It’s on a schedule,  like the trains passing periodically; Routine. Passing out way too frequently  Nothings working with me It’s fine, it happens all the time So I’ll just leave Peddling the wheels Fast enough to make my chain come loose  I reach the secret path, my soles touch dirt Tucking my bike behind a bush, Greeting the wildlife living in the trees It’s only the polite thing to do Hoping the maintenance workers are off today If not I’ll have to greet them too Tranquility in the Abandoned, Ambiance in being Alone. Smoke strings upward, gone within seconds Without a trace, disintegrating into the air  The sun disappears creating an indigo hue My problems seem to disappear as well

WELCOME!

Welcome to our humble literary magazine, EXPRESSIONS! We all had rather grand plans when the 2019 year began, but soon found ourselves facing a global pandemic unlike anything most of us could ever imagine... and right before our publishing deadline! Words and art have sustained many of us. Words and art have all been EXPRESSIONS of our hearts and minds during this difficult time. This may not be the publication we set out to create, but we are proud of the words and art it contains. May it serve as a time capsule of sorts, and remind us in the future of what we have already overcome. Thank you for reading... and be well.